Wednesday 1 November 2017

NEW: THINX Underwear

 

When someone tells me they're on their period my response is like, "Eww, that's great. Did you really have to tell me?" I know women bleed but I don't need to hear about it! 

So around me, keep those details to yourself and we'll be good, k?
However, I think it's important to do this post. I've wanted to do it for a long time.




Let me explain, THINX sell period-proof underwear in many different styles including boyleg, briefs, even thongs and more! They're designed so you can bleed into them. On average every woman uses an average of over 11,000 disposable menstrual products in her reproductive lifetime! Read more here.

As I knew I was going to do Buy Nothing New again and with part of the challenge in finding ways to reduce waste, I figured it was the perfect time to try them out. I was recommended THINX by a friend of mine - so this is where I pay it forward.

Firstly, these are expensive! I went with three black hip-huggers (because if you're going to pay, you may as well pay for the heavy days option as it's more practical) which retail for $34 US each. $34 US for one pair of undies is murder you say! And while I agree with you, think of how much money you'd save in the long run. If you take care of them, they can last you for years saving you hundreds if not thousands of $$ on disposable products.

Postage to Australia is $9 US so all up, three pairs plus postage cost me around $130 AU and took 11 days to arrive.

I understand though, it's a lot of money to spend (Note: THINX do come with a 60-day return policy)  I was skeptical too - and highly paranoid that this experiment would end in an embarrassing accident, but I didn't have any issues. It's a little gross to sit in a puddle of your own blood but it's no different than using a pad. It certainly cuts out the embarrassment of answering the question of why you're taking your bag with you to the bathroom or having people listen to the loud rip of pad removal.


When I bought my THINX, the cotton options weren't available so I can't comment on those, but the ones I got feel almost like swimwear material. There's a bit of padding around the crotch area but it's not bulky and is comfy. It takes take a little longer to dry than the rest of the underwear, but you just rinse and cold wash them making them super easy to clean!

Next I want to get three of the cotton variables just so I have a weeks worth if I need them. Another company PantyProp also sells leggings, bathing suits and other products you can bleed into. I haven't tried them but there are many positive reviews on YouTube I'd recommend if you'd like to find out more. They too are a little expensive but a great option for active girls who don't/can't use tampons.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...